Ep.80: Bridging the Skills Gap from an Economist’s Perspective with Mischa Fisher
An aging skilled workforce is retiring, and there’s a shortage of younger people taking their place. It’s a hot topic among remodeling companies, who are still searching for the right answers to solving their labor shortage.
In this episode, Mischa Fisher, Victoria, and Mark discuss what you can do to bridge the skills gap, and how to change deep-seated perceptions around joining the home-services industry.
Mischa Fisher is the chief economist at ANGI Homeservices, representing the HomeAdvisor and Angie’s List brands. Prior to this role, Mischa was chief economist for Illinois, where he served as the economic policy advisor to the governor; he is also a former legislative director for the United States Congress in Washington, DC, and is currently an instructor in applied quantitative analysis at Northwestern University.
Mischa says the labor shortage starts with s a simple fact of demographics, where an aging workforce is getting ready to retire, and the Millennials and younger Generation Z aren’t in the pipeline to replace them. Compounding that, there’s already a shortage of skilled labor. An internal HomeAdvisor poll showed 65 percent of their members could not fill a position, says Mischa, and it’s getting worse. Mischa shares his insights into what’s causing the labor shortage, and how we can all go about fixing it, plus bonus advice from his dad, including:
- Why talking about it is a great start
- Raising awareness inside and outside the industry
- Best practices to fill your open positions
- How to appeal to Millennials and Gen Z with a rewarding workplace
- The importance of building a real team
- Recognizing generational differences and how to work with them
- How to create a clear pathway to learning
- Recruiting older, experienced people
- Using the student loan crisis to your advantage in recruiting
- Appealing to the entrepreneurial spirit
- Working with industry, government, and educational leaders
- Educating parents about the advantages of learning a skilled trade
- And more …
Mischa says you can find more resources to help at the Home Advisor Pro Center. Keep an eye out for a new research portal that will be live in a couple of months at www.homeadvisor.research.