We’re big believers in the power of blogging to generate interest and business. Today we’re talking to someone in the trenches who’s also a believer, because it’s helped him in growing his business, gaining credibility, elevating customer loyalty, and — most importantly — generating cost-effective, exclusive leads.
In this episode, Mike Foti discusses his business case for blogging with Victoria and Mark, and tells you how you can do the same.
Mike is president of Innovate Building Solutions of Cleveland, OH, a regional remodeling and nationwide wholesaler of grout-free shower and tub wall panels, wet room systems and glass floors, and also of Innovate Home Org, a designer and installer of custom home organization systems. In the eight years he’s been blogging on his News from the Block blog, it’s grown to 85,000 visitors per month and 19,000 email subscribers — and he has two other blogs. Mike is a self-described DMG (Digital Marketing Geek) and loves learning how to increase traffic and leads without forking over big bucks to “Mr. Google.” He’s also a crazy one-hour-a-day runner – even after suffering two heart attacks over the last two years. Finally, Mike is a reinvigorated Cleveland Browns fan and says (just like Baker Mayfield) he’s feeling a little dangerous today.
Mike started blogging after a digital marketing consultant told him how it would help his business, and he admits his first attempts weren’t so good. Mike shares his five reasons to blog, tips for finding the time to do it, and the benefits, including:
- Avoiding pay-per-click costs
- Why he doesn’t do Facebook ads
- Becoming known as an expert and building a following
- Why it works for project-based businesses
- The importance of being consistent
- Attracting tire-kickers and turning them into leads
- The power of information, influence, and education
- If you can’t write, finding someone who can
- Giving yourself permission to not be very good at first
- How to generate ideas — taking questions from your sales calls and answering them
- Why the weirdest jobs make the best stories
- Writing awesome headlines
- Sharing who you are for a personal connection
- How to entertain while educating
- And more …
Including Mike and Mark talking the Odell Beckham trade, while Victoria stares at the ceiling. Also, for all those wondering, capers are flower buds that are pickled in brine. It’s a wide-ranging and high-energy conversation that will convince you to start blogging if you’re not doing it already — or make you better at it if you are.